Bring your children to the Pretend City Children's Museum and let them explore the adventures of health and the all importance of love just in time for Valentines Day! In fact, show your children that you love them by letting their imagination go wild ON Valentines Day.
Pretend City Children’s Museum invites children and families to explore adventures in health in the month of February as this month is dedicated to children’s overall well-being. Children have the opportunity to learn about the careers and resources that help keep them healthy through exciting pretend play! Various play scenarios, fun facilitated activities, and special guests are sure to encourage children and make them eager for their next well-child check-up!
February’s activities will take your child on a learning adventure about our bodies and what the world is like through our five senses! Each sound and taste, each smell, sight, and touch helps children discover something new. Children will love finding out more about their senses— what they are and what they can learn through them through art. Find the fun, educational lead art activity day that best suits your child’s developmental level in the following all-day art activities at Pretend City that integrate all five senses in a variety of engaging ways:
- Mondays – Touching Texture: Infants (Birth-12 months)
- Tuesday – The Nose Knows: Young Toddlers (12-24 months)
- Wednesdays – Tasty Talent: Toddlers (2-3 years)
- Thursdays – Listen Closely: Preschoolers (3-5 years)
- Fridays – See the Sights: Kindergartners (5-6 years)
- Saturdays – Building Bob: School Ages (5-8 years)
- Sundays – Art from the Heart: Children of all ages=
Come learn more about the history of Groundhog Day while participating in fun activities throughout the museum to celebrate!
- Sensational Story Time: By two years of age children can identify themselves as individuals, separate from others. In Gregory’s Shadow, children will learn about a little groundhog named Gregory who is having trouble making the distinction between himself and his shadow.
- Poetry Play: Work with your child on their fine motor skills while learning fun rhymes about Groundhog Day!
- Smart Art: Groundhog Day with Punxsutawney Phil has been a part of American History since 1887. Today your child can make their very own Phil to help you predict the weather!
- Good to Go Game: Be prepared for Phil’s forecast by working with your child on identifying what items correspond to which season in this game of weather forecast!
|Photo credit: www.letsplayoc.com|
Time: 2:00p.m. to 3:30p.m.
Specifically for: Infants (0-18 months) only, Grown-ups. For the comfort of our infant guests, no older siblings please.
Ten little fingers, ten little toes, two little ears and one little nose, two little eyes that shine so bright, and one little mouth to kiss mother goodnight. This Ten Little Fingers nursery rhyme is just one of many songs and activities that we will focus on during this month’s Baby Steps event. Playing in the health center will give your baby an opportunity to discover parts of the body while helping you monitor their growth and development.
RSVP: max 60; please visit Pretend City online under Visit and click Calendar of Events to register
Fee: $10 per adult, infants and Pretend City Members are FREE!
Friday, February 14: Celebrate Valentine’s Day and Join us for Way to Play Day, A Package of Learning!
Every February we celebrate Valentine's Day by giving flowers, candy and cards to those we love. We do this in honor of Saint Valentine. This year, Pretend City Children’s Museum will share some hearty history with your family to help teach more about this holiday through hands-on, educational and fun activities:
- Sensational Story Time: What better way to celebrate the day than with The Kissing Hand, a story about the love of family!
- Poetry Play: Poetry is another language used to express love and it only needs a few words. By 2 years of age, your child can express themselves in simple words. Hear what your child has to say when they use these words to create a love poem.
- Symbols in a Second: Hearts, Cupids, and Roses – oh my! During this holiday, many symbols are seen in the community that represents Valentine’s Day. Let your little cupid learn more about these symbols and what they represent.
- Good to Go Game: Pin the arrow on the heart and watch your child turn into cupid as they try to pin the arrow on the heart.
Tuesday, February 18: FREE Dental Screenings!
Time: 11:00a.m. to 1:00p.m.
Is your New Year’s Resolution to improve your families overall health? What better way to start than by participating in a FREE dental screening for your child. Pretend City Children’s Museum offers a unique resource in that it provides screenings in a child-friendly and comfortable environment. Visit the museum first and role play in the dentist office to help your child feel comfortable. The free screening of your little one’s teeth, gums and mouth provided by the doctors from South OC Pediatrics will be a great way to take little steps towards visiting the dentist office.
Way to Play Day: A Package of Learning!
Time: 10:00a.m. to 3:00p.m.; Way to Play Days occur on the 2nd Friday of every month
Join us on Valentine’s Day for a fun Way to Play Day, which is specially designed to assist parents in finding answers to questions about their child’s development. With our Way To Play Adventure Guide, there are activities to enhance your child’s play at Pretend City. Good To Go From Head To Toe, Pretend City’s child development initiative, together with its play partners, are here to assist you with:
ASQ Developmental Check-ups from 10:00a.m. to 12:00p.m.: Assess your child’s speech, motor, cognitive and social areas (first come, first served; limited spaces available).
Monday, February 17 - Pretend City Children’s Museum Open Full Day in Honor of President’s Day
Time: 10:00a.m. to 3:00p.m. (Activity Times Vary)
Can you name all of America's past presidents? If not, perhaps it's time you and your family brush up on your U.S. history – and what better time than the annual celebration of Presidents' Day? Turn the holiday into a fun and educational experience for both you and your children with a patriotic adventure at Pretend City Children’s Museum to honor our presidents for their contributions while at the same time learning a thing or two about the job of president. Activities throughout the day will include:
- Sensational Story Time: Presidents’ Day will recreate tales of President George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln in a fun, child-friendly manner.
- Smart Art: Lincoln’s log and Washington’s wig will transform your little ones into our nation’s former presidents.
- Holiday History: Pretend City guests and visitors will have the opportunity to learn a variety of fun history facts through songs, videos and more!
"Teaching children about the natural world should be seen as one of the most important events in their lives," says Thomas Berry, author of The Dream of the Earth. Join Pretend City Children’s Museum for an evening of discussion and active demonstrations. Explore the increased learning that happens when nature and natural materials are used to support children’s development and educational goals. Advantages of using natural materials in learning include:
- Increased and varied sensory experiences
- Natural consequences that foster learning
- Self-regulation, calmness
- Extended learning opportunities
Fee: $10 per participant
Monday, February 24: Family Autism Event
Time: 5:00p.m. to 7:30p.m.
Pretend City’s family autism event is an opportunity for children and their parents/siblings/caretakers to have some fun in an autism-friendly environment along with other families. Many of our community partners, who specialize in supporting children on the autism spectrum, will be on-hand to enrich your family’s play experience with welcoming smiles and practical support.