Well, my family seem to have fabulous luck going whale watching lately with the crew of the MV Triumphant with Harbor Breeze out of Long Beach! I would love to show you a few pictures from our recent trip out to see the magnificent Blue Whales and teach you what I learned that day.
On the search for the 2 Blue Whales, "Hook" and "Delta" today out on the MV Triumphant, we saw an abundance of wildlife! I don't think that we found those particular whales, identified by their flukes. But there was no lack of wildlife.
I learned more about the Blue Whales that I thought I would share.
- They are the largest animal to EVER inhabit the earth! Larger than ANY dinosaur!
- Their tongues can be the size of an African Elephant
- The babies weigh up to 3 tons at birth and gain 200 pounds a day on their Mom's milk that is 50% fat! (Humans milk fat is 2%)
- Babies are about 25 feet long at BIRTH
- Blue Whales in the wild( as opposed to captivity?) live to be 80-90 years old
- The main arteries of the Blue Whale are so large that a small human can swim through them
- They have been increasingly been hit by large carrier ships entering the shipping ways to the Port and killed
- Recently, the shipping lanes have been moved to accommodate the migrating pattern of whales to avoid fatalities
If you get sea sick, I recommend bringing medicine or a sea sick patch or bracelet. Several people got sick today because of the large swells.
Bring a good camera, you won't be disappointed!